Monday, June 07, 2004

Let him rot
This kind of thing infuriates me more than it probably should.
The sister of Oklahoma City bombing conspirator Terry Nichols testified Monday that her brother has found God in prison as Nichols' lawyers began trying to persuade a jury to spare his life in the 1995 bombing.

I can think of a lot of reasons not to kill Terry Nichols, finding God is not one of them. I am completely against the death penalty. It's not that there aren't people who I'd rather were dead, I just don't happen to belive we have the right to kill them. If it's wrong for me to kill as an individual, I don't see that it becomes right for me to kill as part of a collective entity--the people. Terry Nichols should be given a life sentence because it is wrong for us to act like him. But, if other people are being given death sentences, it is wrong to spare him because he found the Lord. It stinks of special privileges for Christians and it's an awfully convenient way to escape the consequences of your actions.

For those who want to punish, consider this, if Nichols has really found religion, thinks he has been forgiven, and is heaven bound, then the meanest thing we can do is refuse to send him there.

No comments: